Attorney Kevin Buchanan
Summary of Experience:
- Twenty four years’ experience practicing trial law.
- Extensive court appointments as Receiver and service as Receivers’ counsel.
- Extensive trial and arbitral experience in products, business disputes, and professional negligence cases.
- Settlement of multi-million dollar disputes.
- Advisor to clients on BSA, FCPA, and OFAC sanctions compliance requirements
- September 1, 2013 – Present: Kevin Buchanan & Associates, P.L.L.C., Dallas, Texas (Owner)
- January 1, 2009 – August 31, 2013: Buchanan & Bellan, L.L.P., Dallas, Texas (Partner)
- 1999 – December 31, 2008: Buchanan & Burke, L.L.P., Dallas, Texas (Partner)
Mr. Buchanan is the owner of Kevin Buchanan & Associates, P.L.L.C. The firm focuses on receiverships, including collections, asset management, and tracing, as well as litigation, including personal injury, product liability, wrongful death, business disputes, intellectual property, family law, and class actions. Mr. Buchanan advises clients on compliance issues involving the U.S. Banking Security Act (“BSA”), the Foreign Corruption Practices Act
(“FCPA”), and sanctions programs administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (“OFAC”). He has been retained in a number of areas as an expert witness including cases involving professional liability, class actions, and family law. Mr. Buchanan serves as a member of Special Litigation Committees (“SLC”) in securities derivative
The firm, located in Dallas, Texas, represents and advises clients on a world-wide basis, from California to New Jersey and from Texas to Michigan – and states in between. The firm’s international practice has included advising foreign nationals in Canada, Mexico, Brazil and the Russian Federation. Mr. Buchanan has settled multimillion dollar business disputes, personal injury and wrongful death cases. His experience includes trial and settlement of complex cases involving multiple plaintiffs in both federal and state forums. Courts have routinely entrusted with Mr. Buchanan with particularly contentious receivership cases. He has served as a discovery master
and as a mediator.
- 1993 – 1998: McDonald, Clay, Crow & McGartland, L.L.P., Dallas, Texas (Associate)
Mr. Buchanan’s responsibilities included the litigation, trial, and settlement of personal injury and wrongful
death actions. In addition to his plaintiff’s personal injury practice, he was responsible for an insurance and institutional defense docket.
- Boston University School of Law: Candidate for LLM in International Business Law (concentration: Risk Management and Compliance), currently enrolled
- Southern Methodist University School of Law: J.D., 1993
- University of Texas at El Paso: M.A., Political Science, 1990
- Webster University, St. Louis, Mo: M.B.A., 1989
- United States Army Aviation Center, Graduate of Initial Entry Rotary Wing Aviation Course, 1985
- Tennessee Technological University: B.S., Earth Sciences, 1983
Recipient of the American Jurisprudence award for the highest grade in Written and Oral Advocacy, the Goldberg Prize, awarded to the best student in Creditors’ Rights, and the Benard Prize, awarded annually to the best student in the course of Aviation Law.
Recipient of the Cook Award for most outstanding political science graduate student.
- State Bar of Texas – 1993
- State Bar of Oklahoma – 2005
- United States Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit – 1994
- United States Court of Federal Claims – 1998
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas – 1994
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas – 1995
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas – 2008
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas – 2014
Prior to law school, Mr. Buchanan enjoyed a career in the military where he graduated from the U.S. Army’s helicopter flight school. He served as an aeroscout helicopter pilot and platoon leader in the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment of the U.S. Army from 1986 to 1990. He served in the Texas National Guard from 1990 to 1991 and is a veteran of Operation Desert Shield. He is licensed as a commercial helicopter pilot with an instrument rating and has flown offshore for a commercial operator.
Mr. Buchanan is an avid horseman. He is a horse owner and has ridden in various disciplines. He combines this interest with his profession and business, having represented the owners and breeders of champion reining horses, including “Wimpys Little Step” and “Spooks Gotta Whiz”. He is a member of the American Quarter Horse Association, the National Reining Horse Association, the National Cutting Horse Association, and the National Reined Cow Horse Association. Mr. Buchanan has operated and managed both cow calf and yearling cattle operations.